Welbeck set to Renew Contract

It looks like Arsenal have decided that Danny Welbeck is too valuable a resource to be allowed to leave on a free transfer next season, with the Gunners management team now discussing his new contract, and hopeful a new deal can be concluded in a matter of weeks.

The decision to keep Welbeck at the Emirates has been backed by Ian Wright, with the enthusiastic Gunners legend saying that Arsenal needed to keep players such as ex-Manchester United Danny Welbeck, if they are to compete for the Champions League spaces once more.

Gareth Southgate reveals Luke Shaw should return in a week’s time

England head coach Gareth Southgate has revealed that Luke Shaw has not suffered any major problem and he should return to first-team action with Manchester United after the mandatory one-week break. The left-back made his first England start in nearly 18 months during the Nations League game against Spain last week and he managed to make a meaningful contribution with an assist.

Despite this, the Three Lions suffered their first defeat at the Wembley Stadium in over two years and the game also ended on a sour note for Shaw after he got concussed following an aerial collision with Spain’s Dani Carvajal. Speaking regarding the same, Southgate confirmed that Shaw has returned to normalcy after the incident and he should return to first-team action once the mandatory rest period is complete, he said: “All being well he has a mandatory six to seven-day rest period, but he should be back as soon as that is done.”

Unai Emery keeps the trust on goalkeeper Petr Cech

Arsenal manager Unai Emery has indicated that he has the full confidence on goalkeeper Petr Cech, who started the season opener versus Manchester City. The 36-year-old was impressive with key saves during the 2-0 defeat at the hands of the reigning champions but his poor distribution skills led to fans and pundits alike calling for Bernd Leno to start between the sticks.

However, speaking to reporters, Emery has stressed that he is ‘very happy’ with the performance of the veteran goalkeeper and does not see the reason for a change for the London derby against Chelsea this weekend, he said: “I am very happy with his performance. I think he has experience, quality, and capacity like a first goalkeeper with us - and also Bernd Leno. They are two goalkeepers important for us. Different qualities but for us, like we want to play, the two goalkeepers can play. Saturday the decision is easy, Petr Cech will continue to start the match, I believe in him. If he starts bad, I believe in him also.”

Carragher Disappointed to See Antonio Conte Leave England

Jamie Carragher believes that the departure of Antonio Conte from the Premier League is a major blow for the division. The Italian will be remembered as a manager who forced almost the entire Premier League to change their formation in order to prevent Chelsea from running away with league titles. At a time when playing for a comeback was the norm, Conte brought in his preferred 3-5-2 formation to great success at Stamford Bridge. This formation yielded a Premier League title and an FA Cup medal in the last two campaigns. However, Conte fell out with Chelsea – much like he has done at his previous clubs – and has been sacked to be replaced by Maurizio Sarri.

Conte won numerous hearts at Chelsea with his passionate display on the sidelines. The Italian still had one year left on his contract and was not ready to relinquish his role – in order to receive a compensation from Chelsea. Now, he is expected to return to Italian football since he has already turned down an offer from Real Madrid. This is unlikely to worry Conte, who may be back in management within the next 12 months. Carragher says that Conte has been an impeccable manager for the Premier League as he has been able to create a new identity.

Jurgen Klopp explains Liverpool’s decision to sign Naby Keita

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has insisted that his side have got one of the Bundesliga’s best after Naby Keita made the move from RB Leipzig earlier in the summer. The Guinea international joined the Reds for a reported fee of around £48m as part of a pre-agreement, which had been finalised during the 2017 summer transfer window.

In a report covered by The Liverpool Echo, Klopp stressed that Keita was probably one of the best players in the Bundesliga during Leipzig’s maiden top-flight season between 2016 and 2017. The midfielder could not quite replicate a similar showing during the course of the 2017/18 season but Klopp insists the Reds have got a player who has good attributes in both sides of the pitch.

Mark Lawrenson Backs Mohamed Salah To Win Ballon d’Or

Liverpool great Mark Lawrenson believes Mohamed Salah has a good chance of ending Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo’s dominance for the Ballon d’Or. Either Messi or Ronaldo have won one of the last 10 accolades but Lawro suggests this trend could end, should Mohamed Salah guide Liverpool to Champions League success.

Speaking to the Liverpool Echo, he said: “It will be very difficult not to give him the Ballon d'Or' if he delivers the much-coveted trophy for the Reds. I've not seen anything like it. I think about all those top players who have come from abroad and had a brilliant first season in the Premier League - the likes of Ruud van Nistelrooy and Fernando Torres. Salah has been better than all of them. Liverpool knew they had signed a good player last summer but not in their wildest dreams would they have imagined he would contribute this much.”

Pages